15 Interesting Facts About Jawaharlal Nehru
In this article, we’ll discuss some facts about Jawaharlal Nehru, the first PM of India, a leading Indian freedom fighter, and one of the tallest leaders of the Indian National Congress (INC). And these points about Nehru will reveal some interesting anecdotes related to his life and times.
Jawaharlal Nehru facts
1. Motilal Nehru, the father of Jawaharlal Nehru, was the owner of Allahabad’s (Prayagraj) first car, which the senior Nehru imported in 1904.
2. Jawaharlal Nehru’s first fee as a young lawyer was the then-princessly amount of five hundred rupees, offered by the wealthy Rao Maharajsingh.
3. Pandit Nehru made his first public speech on June 20, 1916, in Mrs. Annie Besant’s defense and in protest of the Press Act under which she had been prosecuted.
4. On December 6, 1921, both Motilal and Jawaharlal Nehru were arrested, each for the first time in their lives.
5. Pandit Nehru also served as the chairman of the Allahabad Municipal Board. He was elected to the position as a Congress party candidate in April 1923.
6. Nehru finished his nearly 1000-page autobiography, titled An Autobiography, within nine months. And when it was published in 1936, he dedicated it to his deceased wife, Kamala.
7. Pandit Nehru spent his longest spell in prison—a total of 1040 days, or over 34 months—from 8 August 1942 to 15 June 1945.
8. In 1960, when Edwina Mountbatten, the wife of the last British governor-general of India, Lord Mountbatten, died in Borneo, she had letters from Jawaharlal Nehru scattered around her bed.
9. On his desk, Pandit Nehru kept two totems: a gold statuette of Mahatma Gandhi and a bronze cast of the hand of Abraham Lincoln.
10. Nehru founded a daily newspaper, the National Herald. And he was the author of three major books: Glimpses of World History (1934), An Autobiography (1936), and The Discovery of India (1946).
11. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru not only served as the prime minister of India for 17 years. But, simultaneously, he also held the post of India’s External Affairs Minister for the same period of time.
12. Lahore, the hometown of Swarup Rani Kaul, the mother of Jawaharlal Nehru. And young Nehru spent much of his childhood there.
13. Nehru was an alumni of Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge.
14. Pandit Nehru attended a Congress session for the first time at Bankipore in Bihar in December 1912.
15. Nehru met Mahatma Gandhi for the first time during Christmas week, 1916, at the annual meeting of the Indian National Congress in Lucknow. At that time, Pandit Nehru was 27 years old.
I hope you like these facts on Pandit Nehru. Thanks for reading. Jai Hind.
You can also connect with me on Instagram- dontbignorant