15 Interesting Facts About The Vedas
In this article, we’ll discuss some important facts about the Vedas, one of the most important texts of the Hindu religion. And the source of inspiration and learning for some of the greatest people of India, be it, Raja Rammohan Roy, Swami Vivekanand, Dayanand Saraswati, etc.
The Holy Vedas Facts
1. In the Indian tradition or the Hindu tradition, the Vedas have the status of “shruti,” which literally means “that which has been heard.”
2. The word “Veda” comes from the root word “vid” (to know) and means “knowledge.”
3. The Vedas are the oldest surviving texts on the Indian Subcontinent, and they are in Sanskrit.
4. There are four Vedas, and in chronological order they are as follows:
5. Each Veda has four parts: the Samhita, Brahmana, Aranyaka, and Upanishad.
6. The rig The Veda Samhita is a collection of 1,028 hymns (suktas), and it’s divided into 10 books, or Mandalas.
7. The Sama Veda consists of 1,810 verses, and the majority of the hymns are borrowed from the Rig Veda.
8. The Yajur Veda deals with the details of the performance of the rituals.
9. The Atharva Veda not only contains hymns but also spells and charms.
10. Books 2–7, also known as the family books of the Rig Veda Samhita, are considered the oldest.
11. Book 7 of the Rig The Veda Samhita refers to a battle of 10 kings. The great battle took place on the banks of the river Parushni (Ravi). In this battle, the Bharata chief Sudas, grandson of Divodasa, fought against a confederacy of 10 tribes.
12. Historians divide the Vedic corpus into two parts: early and later Vedic texts.
• Early Vedic literature: It refers to the family books of the Rig Veda Samhita.
• Later Vedic literature: It includes Books 1, 8, 9, and 10 of the Rig Veda Samhita, the Samhitas of the Sama, Yajur, and Atharva Vedas, and the Brahmanas, Aranyakas, and Upanishads attached to all four Vedas.
13. The composers of the Rig Veda described themselves as Arya.
14. Books 2–7, the oldest books of the Rig Veda Samhita, are also known as the family books because their composition is attributed to the families of certain sages: Vishvamitra, Gritsamada, Vamadeva, Atri, Bharadvaja, and Vasishtha.
15. India’s sacred Vedas reveal a close relationship with Iran.
I hope you like these facts about the Vedas. Thanks for reading. Jai Hind.
If you have any questions, you can connect with me on Instagram- dontbignorant